I don’t know about you, but anytime I spend a warm summer day by the ocean, I automatically start craving seafood. New England style lobster rolls, perfectly seared scallops or flavorful fish tacos are usually right up there at the top of my list. While all are easy to make at home, grilled fish tacos are most frequently on our dinner menu when we’re in the mood for seafood. For good reason too! They are super versatile in terms of the fish you can use, and the toppings. This means you can buy whatever white fish is freshest at your local market, which is always a win in my book. Today I’m sharing my recipe for healthy grilled fish tacos that will transport you, and have you feeling like you’re dining seaside in Cabo. Pair it with my skinny watermelon margarita for the perfect night in!
This post contains an affiliate link for your shopping convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Marinate the fish for 20-30 mins.
Make the avocado crema and prepare your toppings while the fish is marinading.
Grill for 3-5 minutes per side.
Warm your tortillas on low heat for 40-60 seconds per side.
From there, assemble and enjoy every last bite!
Grilled Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema
1lb of white fish
- Cod, haddock, grouper or mahi mahi all work great
- When possible, aim for filets that are at least one inch thick
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (alternatively, vegetable or canola oil are also ideal for higher heat)
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For avocado crema:
- 2 avocados
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Make marinade: in a mixing bowl whisk together avocado oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinate fish: place fish into a dish and pour marinade over it. Marinate for 20-30 minutes max.
- Make avocado crema: while fish is marinating, add avocado, garlic, cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes, lime juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt to a blender or food processor. Blend until pureed.
- Cook fish: preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grates with oil and place fish directly on grill, or use a grill basket if using a more delicate fish. Then, grill until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side. Cook time will vary based on thickness of fish.
- Warm tortillas: spray both sides of tortillas and heat in a skillet on low, or on the grill for about 40-60 seconds per side.
- Assemble tacos: once fish is cooked, break it up into smaller pieces and place on tortillas. Layer on cabbage, avocado crema, pico de gallo, cheese and cilantro – or toppings of your choice.
I hope you enjoy these healthy grilled fish tacos just as much as I do! If you make them, tag Casually Coastal on Facebook or Instagram and let me know what you think!
Casually Coastal is now on LIKEtoKNOW.it! To shop my home, as well as my home decor and style recommendations, download the app and follow “CasuallyCoastal“.
For more of my home decor, DIY, style, food + drink, travel and lifestyle posts, follow along via: Instagram ● Facebook ● Pinterest