Every summer I seem to have an obsession with a different fruit, and this year it’s been watermelon. I’ve been snacking on it (so delicious after a workout!) and it’s also been making an appearance in my salads and cocktails. With the weekend right around the corner, I wanted to share my skinny watermelon margarita recipe which is always a hit with my family and friends. It’s super light, and so refreshing on a hot day!
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
In terms of the tequila, I like using blanco or silver tequilas for margaritas as they aren’t aged. This means you won’t get that strong oak flavor that is prevalent in aged tequilas such as reposado or añejo – which in my opinion, distracts from the fruity, citrusy taste of a margarita. While you can never go wrong with Patron Silver, it can be pricey. My favorite mid-shelf option is Casamigos Blanco. Regardless of brand, make sure to use a tequila that’s 100% agave, as this means that no additional sugars were added prior to fermentation. In other words, you want the good stuff!
Skinny Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- 4 cups cubed, chilled, seedless watermelon
- 2 limes, juiced + 1 wedge reserved for rimming the glasses
- 8 ounces blanco or silver tequila
- 4 small watermelon slices (garnish)
- cocktail sea salt (optional)
- In a blender, puree the cubed watermelon until smooth.
- Pour the puree through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher.
- Add the tequila and lime juice to the pitcher. Stir to combine.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of cocktail sea salt onto a small side plate or bowl. Rub a lime wedge around the edge of all four glasses, then dip each glass into the plate of salt to rim the edges.
- Fill each glass with a small handful of ice cubes. Divide the margarita between the four glasses and garnish each with a small watermelon wedge.
If your watermelon isn’t overly sweet, I find that adding just a touch of simple syrup can help bring out the watermelon flavor.
Also, if you’re looking for some coastal-inspired glasses, these seagrass tumblers that I recently picked up are adorable and so summery!
I hope you enjoy this skinny watermelon margarita recipe as much as I do!
Casually Coastal is now on LIKEtoKNOW.it! To shop my home, as well as my home decor and style recommendations, download the app and follow “CasuallyCoastal“.